Monday, July 4, 2011

Our First Hike

After we made the trip to Crossville to visit Chris' granny, I thought it might be fun to go hiking at Fall Creek Falls (about 40 miles away from Crossville). Chris graciously agreed to go. We packed a picnic and everything....that is something way out of the norm for our family normally... picnicking and hiking outside--especially in the dead of SUMMER. I'm not sure if I'll get Chris to go along with my ideas for family fun anytime real soon if it involves outdoors and heat. Sam and I had a good time (I think Isaac did too, he had the easiest walk of us all). Chris, on the other hand....not so much. I'll figure a way to make it up to him one day!

We found the "easiest" hike to get to the top of the falls. The map said it was easy, around 20 minutes, .8 miles with a few hills and steps. I guess the steps get harder when you have a 13 1/2 lb baby strapped to your chest and try not to trip over rocks and tree roots. The 3 1/2 year old seemed to handle the hike well. He was ready for his snack when we reached the summit.



I don't know if Chris was really happy here (at our first "scenic view") or if he was just putting on a good show.

This is the way Isaac rolled the entire hike up.



Completely. Worn. Out.

When we reached the top, I looked over and saw cars parked at the top. Chris automatically got the idea if cars drove up here, there must be an easier way to walk down, like on the road. He started scouting out the possibilities. He couldn't find any signs showing how to get back to the place the car was parked, so I volunteered to hike back down by myself, get the car and pick all the boys up. (Not) surprisingly, I made really good time traveling down by myself. The worst part was not knowing how to get back to my boys. I drove around for a while trying to find the right spot. Eventually I found them....all hot, sweating and a 10 week old crying his head off because it was time to eat and the bottles were with mom in the car. NOT the ideal end to our first hiking trip with the family.

Each night, we ask Sam what he is thankful for at prayer time, he says "hiking." I think the trials and tribulations are worth it for that one little reason.

No comments: