Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Honky Tonk, Late Nights & 100+ Degrees

Here is my standard day in a nutshell for you....wake up, work 8:00-5:00 (typically), come home, eat dinner, settle down in my comfy recliner around 7:00, start watching tv, doze off to sleep around 8:30 or so. Chris will wake me from a slumber and tell me it is time for bed around 9:15. My evening life typically revolves around sleeping. The sooner I get home, the sooner I get to take a nap. I'm still waiting for this "energy boost" that everyone says that I should have. I don't think it is ever going to happen.

The other night, Habitat had a benefit concert, "Honky Tonk Angels" featuring Brenda Lee (famous for Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree and I'm Sorry) and Pam Tillis (famous for Queen of Denial and Shake the Sugar Tree--or something like that). Unfortunately, I'm not up on my classic country singers and songs. Along with Brenda and Pam, there were about 8 other ladies that sang (I had only heard of one or two of the others before this concert). I coerced Chris into going with me. He is such a good sport!

As soon as we got to the concert, there was an opportunity for hob-nobbing with donors, etc. I've decided that I'm glad I'm not in the fundraising business. I'm not good at mingling with others, networking, asking for money, etc. Another reason I brought my husband...so I could stick with him and have an excuse for my lack of hob-nobbing. Coupled with the fact that I'm 6 months pregnant and was tired of standing around, we found a seat and chilled till the concert began. Just like clockwork...around 8:30, I had about hit the wall. Given the fact that I still didn't recognize any of the singers to this point, we bolted out of the concert and I was in bed by 9:30. Tell me it is going to get better!

A few nights later, there was a neighborhood watch meeting in one of our Habitat communities that I had to attend. I knew I was in trouble when I watched the news at 6:30 AM. They stated that the temperature at 6:00 PM was ONLY going to be 101. Of course, this lovely event was held outside. I'm here to tell you, I have always loved the warm weather and handled it quite nicely. At 7 months pregnant, not so much. This will be my last outdoors event for a while I'm afraid. I'm just praying for a break in the weather SOON!

No comments: