After about a month of Sam getting his legs getting stuck in the slats of his crib and being able to put his ankle on the tob of the crib, we decided it was a good time to be proactive. Chris converted his crib to the next stage...the daybed. It pretty much meant taking the front of the crib off so our son can now slide, jump or fall out of bed instead of climb and have a longer way to go. We made the transition last weekend and I'm happy to say there have been no major incidents yet.
There was this one time...the 2nd night into our experiment and Chris was asleep. I heard a thump and some crying (I'm talking maybe 15 seconds). After a lot of internal debate, I ended up figuring it was the cat somewhere in the house jumping from a table or something and the crying isn't totally uncommon. I left it at that and drifted off to sleep. The next morning, Chris went into Sam's room to get him up for church and found him sleeping soundly on the beanbag that we strategically placed next to his bed. Needless to say, I felt kind of bad about that one. We haven't had any other experiences like that lately.
I have been working with Sam each day/night when I put him down to sleep, encouraging him to stay in his bed till I come get him. There have been several times that we go into his room and he has books all around the floor and is having a good time. The other day, I went into his room to get him from his afternoon nap. He was sitting in his bed....WITH a book he got from the bookshelf. My theory is that when he woke up, he figured he wouldn't be in trouble if he ran to get the book and brought it back to his bed with him before I saw him do it. After all, he was abiding by the basic rules...right? He is pretty clever boy. I think I'm in trouble as he gets older!
Notice that we haven't taken away the beanbag yet. I'm still figuring there will be a fall somewhere in the near future.
We put the little stool to help him get in and out of bed, but he doesn't really need it. He finds alternative means of getting in and out of bed.
He always has CRAZY hair after a nap! He's showing me his frog. He loves that thing!
No comments:
Post a Comment