Monday, February 9, 2009

Betty Crocker, I'm Not!

Somewhere, deep down, I've always wanted to make beautiful cakes, cupcakes and the like.  Since I've had Sam, I've realized my want and desire and have acted on figuring out how to make that dream a reality.  Not that I've got any closer to my dream, but at least I have learned a few techniques anyway!  Each Saturday afternoon in January I've gone to a Wilton cake decorating class. I even convinced my mom to come along with me.  It has been a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and feel that I can do so much better than my final class projects.  I guess it just takes PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Here are my meager beginning attempts....


Week Two
Rainbow Cake

I was happy with my layers and how pretty it was when I cut into the cake.

Week Three
Clown Cupcakes

Since it was Superbowl weekend, I strayed away from the class idea and tried to make football cupcakes. Notice the field and the speckled crowd of people.

Week Four
My Final Project: A cake with Roses
(ignore the colors--I think it is hideous, just note the technique--
those roses are NOT easy to make)

Now, I'm off and running to course two to learn even more stuff about decorating cakes. We'll see how that adventure turns out!

2 comments:

vergne said...

Tracy,
I can identify with you about having an interest in doing cakes. It is much harder than it looks. I learned a few techniques from a friend but decided that for the most part, I'll stick with PUblix for my cakes. =) You did a good job for just learning.

Paula

Anonymous said...

This is Ben teaching Grandma on how to comment on blogs. Lawl.