Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ahoy, Sam's 2nd Birthday Party!!

I still can't believe my baby boy is already 2!! Time flies so quickly. This year, we had a pirate themed party. It was a good fit. Ever since our cruise, every time Sam sees a pirate, skull or boat, he automatically identifies it as a pirate. When asked what a pirate says, he responds with a hearty "Arrr!" Granted, I've been encouraging his "love" of pirates off and on since I decided to make his party all about pirates.

Here is his birthday invitation I made. It was a treasure map leading to our house with the details along the way.
I got really inspired and decided to try my first official birthday cake. I went with this very ambitious pirate cake. Personally, I think it turned out pretty good. I learned a lot along the way. In the end, I was very happy with the final outcome (and was thrilled that Sam recognized it as a pirate ship)!

I made all the pirate people. This was the part I was most apprehensive about. They didn't turn out too bad. They were at least recognizable as people.



Our menu consisted of the following....
Cannon Balls....Sausage Balls
Sharks Blood....Red Punch
Parrot Wings....Chicken Wings
Pirate Pete's Peg Legs...Chicken Drumsticks
Sunken Treasure....Macaroni and Cheese
Goldfish
Shrimp Cocktail....I couldn't get very creative on this one
We were going to have Octopus Hot Dogs but I wasn't very happy with the way they turned out.




Somehow, I didn't take a lot of pictures of the decorations. I got a couple. I forgot the door. I was pretty excited about the door hanging. Just use your imagination and picture a glittery skull (much like the one below) with a pirate do-rag and eye patch.
I put Chris to work in assembling this huge pirate ship. I'm glad he had the patience to put everything together. I was so busy with the cake all week, there is no way I could have done this too.


Sam was loving wearing his eye patch and do-rag. He was very unhappy if it came off during the evening.

Sam is staring intensely at the burning candle, waiting for his moment.

Lovin' the ice cream. Forget the spoon....hands work just as well!!

I couldn't resist this picture of papa (my dad) getting into the spirit!

Uncle Dave helping Sam take out the police car that makes lots of noise for both Sam and his parents to enjoy again and again!

4 comments:

LB said...

Adorable! Your invitations, cake and decorations were out of this world! Way to go Miss Martha Stewart! :) Happy Birthday, Sam!

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to go, Tracy! A most impressive cake and very cute invitations. I envy your talent and creativity! :)

vergne said...

Tracy,
You did an awesome job on Sam's cake! You are so creative! Everything was so cute-the invitations, the cake and the decorations! Happy Belated B-day to Sam!

Candie Bowen said...

You are sooo creative!!! The cake is adorable & so are the decorations, invitations, menu, etc. Do you hire out?? I am so impressed!!