This Spring/Summer we decided to participate in a CSA. It has been great so far and I've learned how to prepare things I had never heard of like Swiss Chard. I had no idea what to do with Kale. I've made some tasty things (and some not-s0-tasty things) so far. After hearing Chris reminisce about how his granny would can stuff all Summer long (he comes from an actual farm-life), we decided that we could try it too. We made the investment in the canner and the proper tools to get the cans out with (I learned that lesson the hard way--it is easy to burn yourself FYI). The other day, Chris said our kitchen was starting to look like a "country kitchen" as he was putting away some of the latest cans.
Here's some of the stuff we have been up to...
Over the weekend while I was out of town, Chris tried his hand at making salsa. He did a great job. It sounds like his prep skills with cutting veggies needs to be improved on, but the end product is really good!
Bread and Butter Pickles were my first attempt at canning anything. I think they turned out pretty good for my first attempt. The jury is still out on the kosher pickles I made a few weeks ago. Enough time hasn't elapsed yet to try them....I'm a little weary about those.
I'm most impressed with my jellies that I've attempted. I never dreamed that I would make jelly one day (or can anything for that matter). My very first attempt was jalapeno jelly. It was really good. Chris has already gone through a whole jar of it. I take that as a success. I also made strawberry jelly a couple weeks ago. It may not be as crystal clear as it was supposed to be, but it was still very good. No complaints from Sam (or Chris).
It has been fun experimenting and I look forward to further adventures in this new world I've discovered recently.
2 comments:
You are making the rest of us look bad!!!
Susan, if it wasn't easy, you wouldn't find me doing it! :-)
Post a Comment