Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A New Addition

When Chris took a new bride, he also took little T-Bone, my cat that I have had since 1999. He has never really liked T-Bone and hasn't been afraid to voice his dislike, but it was a package deal. I feel that the cat and Chris have reached an understanding--he doesn't go near her and she stays away from him (most of the time). Chris has always wanted a dog, but I felt that it would not be the best thing...putting a dog and cat in the same space. Growing up, I always had outside dogs and that is what I imagined our family would have--when we had a large back yard that we could fence in.

A couple weeks ago, my brother told me he was looking for a new home for his dog, Bella. He just didn't have enough room for her anymore and isn't home enough to let her roam the apartment all day by herself (because she apparently tears up about everything she comes in contact with when you aren't around). I told Chris about my brother's dilemma and we decided to take Bella into our home on a trial basis for the weekend. Instead of dealing with the cat and dog living together...now I get to sort out the living situation with a dog, cat AND a newborn!

Needless to say, after a day with Bella and seeing how she took to Sam, we were sold and decided to take her into our home. Bella is really a good dog. She is a two year old boxer. She thinks she is a lap dog, but weighing in at around 40 pounds, I have news for her-she's NOT!! My dad has spent the past few days building a fence for Bella underneath our deck so she has a place to hang out, someplace she can hang out and not destroy things like remote controls, indoor plants, nail files, etc. It has been a fun adjustment so far!

It is funny to me....Sam can be screaming his head off and the dog will come near him. If I can get him to pay attention to Bella, he will calm down and start smiling. It that is what it takes, I'm good with that.

Sam LOVES to reach out and try to touch Bella. I just know that one day soon, instead of petting her, he will stick his finger in her eye and things will not be very good. Bella LOVES Sam--she loves to lick him (which Chris and I thing is absolutely disgusting, but Sam tends to love for some reason). We are trying to curb the licking of the face as much as possible at least.

My brother David and Bella. He still has visitation rights to his dog. That is the good thing about keeping her in the family!

No comments: