I undertook the challenge of making Sam's cake again this year. Overall, I'd call it a success....he knew that they were Legos and that is all that really matters in the end. I'm not really happy with my fondant work on the rectangle bricks, I got a little lazy the night before and gave up trying to make it perfect.
I don't think I got any good pictures of it, but when I served the cake for Sam to blow out the candles, the little Lego guys you see here were holding the candles.
At the last minute the night before, Chris and I decided I needed to make more cake. I opted for the cupcake option. I had made a lot of chocolate Lego bricks that I wanted to incorporate in some way, and that was just perfect.
I tried my hand at spelling something in Legos....the sign reads "Happy 4th Sam"
Thanks to my brother's massive collection of Legos from when he was a boy, I was able to do some decorating with them. All the Lego guys were the centerpiece of the kid's table.
I decorated the plates to look like the Lego guy and wrapped the juice boxes to look like bricks.
As you can tell, the little Lego guys were everywhere. I hung some from the mantle since I had so many for all kinds of different reasons. On the mantle rested lots of Legos just scattered about, a copy of his party invitation and mason jars filled with Legos (which I attached the balloons to).
I put together a montage of Sam's first 4 years, some pictures from past birthdays, etc. to show how much he has grown. I hung that above the fireplace.
As a thank you gift to the kids, we gave little candy bricks that I found at the local candy store. They actually stack together. FYI...if you ever get these, they are about as hard as a rock, beware!
This was kind of a fail when all was said and done. A cute idea I had seen here. I didn't execute it as well as I would have liked to. I should have made the box much shorter. I guess the main point came across from the road though.
Lego guys greeted guests at the front door.
I stepped out and made a pinata for the party too. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of the kids getting the candy from it. It had strings that you pull from the bottom and it opens a trap door. It was a success (better than the mailbox fiasco anyway).
We all had a great time at the party. Now, I guess it's time to start planning for Isaac's first birthday in about 5 months :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment